VITALIS Course: 21st Century Skills
Every year the World Economic Forum publishes a list of the skills that it believes are going to determine not only individual success, but also global economic, social and political success. All of these things will matter, but none of these is a subject that we teach in school.
Who is this course for?
- Groups of Students Leaders, Senior students
- Older students in Youth Clubs/Organisation with responsibility
- Students beginning their G11/12 programme in school or college
- Students at the end of their compulsory education
This course is offered as a course for teachers and as a course for students.
For the students’ course it would be for:
What will you get from this course?
- Learn how to think and to learn (metacognition).
- Understand what maximises our own learning.
- Approach new information, situations and problems with a toolkit of skills and processes that lead to a critical and balanced response.
- Engage in a visible process of bias identification, source evaluation and fact checking.
- Critically evaluate the information and data that they are presented with in order to make reasonable judgments and choices.
- Gain a greater understanding of how to approach complex and undefined problems.
- Present their data, work and conclusions in a way that is coherent, evidence based and stands up to questioning.
This course will prepare individuals and groups to:
Some of the BIG questions that we will explore:
- What causes us to learn and how can help ourselves learn most effectively?
- Where do we find our information and what problems are inherent in our sources?
- How do we evaluate the information that we find and use it to make good decisions?
- How do we share our work in a way that is honest, transparent and open to review? Why does it matter?
How will the course be delivered?
At VITALIS it is very important that we are always able to turn learning into action; our courses are no different. We use a variety of Workshops, Seminars, Case Studies, Activities and Visits in which participants will contribute to the content and create products that can be implemented when they return to their schools.
Who will be delivering the course?
VITALIS’s education team has years of experience in government, private and international schools in Europe and around the world. Their experience includes classroom teaching, department leadership, pastoral care, residential education and senior leadership as principal, head of school and CEO. Our professional educational courses are delivered by members of this team.
Courses at VITALIS are delivered in a way that engages the participants in the practice and delivery of the Workshops, Seminars, Case Studies and Activities that we use as the vehicle for teaching and learning. Every participant will have the opportunity to grow in confidence and experience as a practitioner which will have a positive impact on their day-to-day work and on their learning.As with all of our professional courses, participants must be able to share their ideas and read in English.